New computer - x64 or x32?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 2 15:37:51 UTC 2007

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I've got a new computer with a AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core chip in it,
> and I'm wondering if I should put a 64-bit Linux on it, or just stick to
> a 32-bit system.  Pros?  Cons?

At the present time it is difficult to almost impossible to use a 64-bit OS
and keep it clean of 32-bit files. The level of difficulty depends on what
applications you use. You can install the 64-bit OS and most things will be
fine but some applications will result in you pulling in a buch of 32-bit
stuff in order to do some other common things.

My day to day OS is 32-bit. I also have a 64-bit OS installed in another
partition that has no 32-bit files in it at all. In the 64-bit OS I can't run
Opera, 32-bit plug-ins for Firefox (such as the flashplayer), or Adobe Acrobat
Reader. There is also a fourth application I can't run that is not available
in 64-bit but I can't remember what it is.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.