iPod Video -- Success!

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 31 08:31:55 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:

> > Got my flashy new iPod Classic today, it's really sweet :-)
> >
> > Anyhow, got a friend to load some stuff on it while I was at work using
> > iTunes, then when I came home decided to load my music collection and some
> > videos. Fired up gtkpod and loaded some music and thought I would try
> > transferring some mp4 video files as well.
> >
> > Gtkpod did not complain and showed that it had transferred the files
> > successfully and updated the database on the device. However, now when I
> > access the iPod's menu, it shows no available files at all...
> >
> > The device and gtkpod both show that some storage is being used on the iPod,
> > but none of it can be accessed from the iPod menu.
> >
> > Anyone have some experience with this? I'd rather not have to go through the
> > trouble of getting iTunes running under Wine.
> >
> > I did try using Amarok as Chris Gow had suggested, but gave up as its
> > interface, like so many KDE apps, is completely inscrutable to me.
>
> Oh, those fargin bastages at Apple...
>
> "As recently reported on Slashdot, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has added a
> checksum to the iPod database apparently to restrict non-iTunes products (like
> Amarok via libgpod) from having the ability to add music. To me this sounds
> pretty familiar. This is the same thing they did to iTunes 4.5 to make it
> harder for other apps to read off their DAAP shares, they changed it again in
> iTunes 7; open source apps are still unable to read iTunes 7 DAAP shares."
>
> http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/496-iPod-Classic-Will-Be-Supported.html
>
> So it looks like I have to either get iTunes running or get the latest version
> of gtkpod or Amarok.

All hail the gtkpod devel team :-)

Just in case anyone else needs this info:

0. Install libmp4v2-devel so that gtkpod is build with support for...well, mp4.

1. Grab libgpod svn:

svn co https://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gtkpod/libgpod/trunk libgpod

*Important* read the README.sysinfo file and follow the instructions.

...then build and install the usual way (I used ./configure --prefix=/usr)

2. Grab gtkpod svn:

svn co https://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gtkpod/gtkpod/trunk gtkpod

...and build and install the usual way.

You should be good to go. I know I am. Woot!

--
JoeHill