iPod Video

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 31 07:06:24 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:

> Got my flashy new iPod Classic today, it's really sweet :-)
>
> Anyhow, got a friend to load some stuff on it while I was at work using
> iTunes, then when I came home decided to load my music collection and some
> videos. Fired up gtkpod and loaded some music and thought I would try
> transferring some mp4 video files as well.
>
> Gtkpod did not complain and showed that it had transferred the files
> successfully and updated the database on the device. However, now when I
> access the iPod's menu, it shows no available files at all...
>
> The device and gtkpod both show that some storage is being used on the iPod,
> but none of it can be accessed from the iPod menu.
>
> Anyone have some experience with this? I'd rather not have to go through the
> trouble of getting iTunes running under Wine.
>
> I did try using Amarok as Chris Gow had suggested, but gave up as its
> interface, like so many KDE apps, is completely inscrutable to me.

Oh, those fargin bastages at Apple...

"As recently reported on Slashdot, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has added a
checksum to the iPod database apparently to restrict non-iTunes products (like
Amarok via libgpod) from having the ability to add music. To me this sounds
pretty familiar. This is the same thing they did to iTunes 4.5 to make it
harder for other apps to read off their DAAP shares, they changed it again in
iTunes 7; open source apps are still unable to read iTunes 7 DAAP shares."

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/496-iPod-Classic-Will-Be-Supported.html

So it looks like I have to either get iTunes running or get the latest version
of gtkpod or Amarok.

--
JoeHill