[OT]: How to help a Canadian Spaceport?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 30 00:57:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Ehm, last I checked Canada was pretty far north, and not very close to
> an optimal launch point for anything going into space.  No point making
> space ports here.

There have been two serious proposals for commercial space ports in
Australia - neither proceeded very far :( One was on Christmas Island
(which you probably know as .cx) and the other was in Far North Queensland
(FNQ to its friends).  Yeah not really relevant but I just wanted to
lament the fact that Australia still hasn't built a commercial spaceport
despite a prime position.

> And the government would spend twice that much just to administrate the
> GST difference (never mind what it would cost the poor stores to deal
> with the crap).  We could stop letting tourists get GST/PST refunds when
> they leave.  That might actually make money and save money since you
> wouldn't have to administrate that silly system anymore. :)

I'm inclined to agree. The amount of money saved by tourists is not
generally great (since there is a refund cap afaik) but the system must
cost quite a bit to administer.

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"