[OT]: How to help a Canadian Spaceport?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 29 22:56:02 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 05:35:01PM +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> Let me take a contrary view on this, and not from the perspective of
>> "oh, I don't want any space stuff happening"...
>>

> Ehm, last I checked Canada was pretty far north, and not very close to
> an optimal launch point for anything going into space.  No point making
> space ports here.

That would depend on the desired inclination.  You want to be able to
launch as close to it as possible.  For that reason, the ESA site in
South America is better than NASA's Cape Canaveral for equatorial
orbits, such as those used by geostationary satellites.  On the other
hand, polar orbits can be launched from anywhere.  There are many
satellites at significant inclinations.