Nokia N800 Internet tablet on sale at Dell

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 28 02:19:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 03:26:21PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:11:51 -0400
> | From: Peter King <peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
> |
> | On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 03:22:20PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> |
> | > Today, and perhaps today only (I cannot tell for sure), Dell is selling it
> | > for $349, including shipping.  It is one of their secondary items on
> | > today's installment of their 10 days of deals:
> |
> | I ordered one, and at the last stage it said that this offer expires
> | October 9th. So, today only. Act accordingly.
>
> Now they are down to $297.00 at Dell.ca (US$249 at Dell.com).  I
> wonder if you can get a credit from them.  Probably not :-(
>
> The reason is that the N810 has been announced (for November
> delivery?).  Sounds nice: it adds GPS and a built-in keyboard.

No credit for buying at the "deal" price. Oh well.

I've looked at the specs for the N810, and I'm not sorry to have opted for
the N800. For one thing, the keyboard is one of those attached thumb-keyboard
devices that do nothing for me -- as a touch-typist I'd buy an external BT
keyboard anyhow, so having a thumb keyboard built-in doesn't help me at all.
Ditto GPS: nice for those who use it, but I generally know where I am  ;-)

I'd rather not have paid more than I had to for the N800, of course, but the
N810 doesn't make me wish I'd waited for it. I think the N800 will suit my
needs well: internet appliance that I can hook a BT keyboard onto and run vim
in an xterm, for taking care of business. It'll replace my aging iPAQ (which
also runs Linux) and, if I can figure out how to do simple voice recording,
replace my Samsung YEPP mp3 player and voice-recorder, too.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A2
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42