locked out of home directory??

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 27 01:10:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, James Knott wrote:

> While it may not be an issue in a home envireronment (my dog & cat
> haven't shown much interest <g>), in a work environment, personal
> directories shouldn't be available to all by default.  Shared group
> files should be in a directory created for that purpose.

Hi James.  I respectfully disagree that this constitutes an absolute rule,
which is whar your email seems to suggest.  As per my original post, there
is room for various approaches.

It depends on the culture of the company, the needs of the users, the
security of the information and other factors.  I think shared directories
are fine when different people may be editing the file (but really there
are better ways then).  If a user is the sole author of a document I'm not
going to mandate they move it to a shared folder to allow others to read
it.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"