locked out of home directory??

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 28 14:44:58 UTC 2007

For another datapoint, Richard Stallman had his home directory world
writable I believe into the '90s partly as a political statement.

What I have used a lot is group writable directories with the g+s bit
set, which makes files/directories created to have the group of the
enclosing directory.  Combined with a umask of 002 (or 007) this means
that things are very shareable among groups.  This even works with your
home directory since it is usually a private group.... except... ssh
doesn't like $HOME or $HOME/.ssh writable by anybody except the owner,
so I have my home directory set to 755 (except on machines that I share
with 1000 students where it's 711), and most other directories set to
775.

Locking your home directory has little relationship to the internet -
unless there are users of you machine with easily guessable passwords -
rather it's the other users on the machine.

../Dave