ECMAScript ("Javascript") Version 4 - Official Overview

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 25 11:22:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 07:40:03PM -0400, Ian Petersen wrote

> Can you explain why you think some new syntax is going to make the
> Russian Mafia more powerful?  Javascript, as implemented in existing
> browsers, can already do everything described in that overview.  The
> only new thing is built-in support for the features so that it's
> easier to use them.

  The mere fact that all these features are easier to use is part of the
reason.  Another factor is more possibility for obfuscation.  When
overloading can change what the same code means on-the-fly, it gets a
lot harder to de-obfuscate malicious web pages for investigators to
figure out where they're downloading trojans from.

  And on general principle, I am very uncomfortable with the concept of
Joe Random Webmaster being able to download code to my machine and
execute it.  I go out of my way to *NOT* run a server.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?