ECMAScript ("Javascript") Version 4 - Official Overview

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 23 23:40:03 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>   I'm sure that programmers for the Russian Mafia are rubbing their
> hands in glee as they go through the list of features proposed for the
> new version.  If you think drive-by-downloads are bad now, you ain't
> seen nothing yet.

Can you explain why you think some new syntax is going to make the
Russian Mafia more powerful?  Javascript, as implemented in existing
browsers, can already do everything described in that overview.  The
only new thing is built-in support for the features so that it's
easier to use them.

You're right that Linux-based systems are not immune--the whole point
of "Web 2.0" seems to be that your underlying operating system is
mostly irrelevant when everything you do runs inside a web browser.
Running a Web 2.0-enabled virus/worm/trojan/whatever is therefore
about equally likely to cause problems on all supported platforms.  I
don't see how a more expressive language can change that, though--it
just makes the malware code shorter.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com