Domain Name Registrar Recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 15:26:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:06:17AM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
> One of my .ca domain names is up for renewal.  When I purchased my
> first .ca after returning to Canada about a year and a half ago, I
> didn't have a credit card so I went for the cheapest Toronto place I
> could find - somewhere where I could walk in the door and pay cash.  I
> chose budgetnames.ca .  They used to use tucows to register domains,
> but since I registered this domain they've started their own registrar
> called "arcticnames.ca".  What this has meant is that the renewal,
> which should have been simple, has turned into a nightmare (partly of
> my own making - I put it off, and now the deadline is, well,
> tomorrow).  I can't renew online because their form says there was a
> problem: "Could Not Confirm Transfer/Renewal: Cookie Invalid".  I
> started a new, clean Firefox profile that accepted all cookies and got
> the same error.  I've been trying to call them for a week and a half,
> and they answer the phone about one time in five.  They don't seem to
> answer email tech support requests.  The last time I got through on
> the phone the woman assured me she'd look into it and call back in an
> hour.  She has not, and once again they aren't picking up the phone.
>
> So, this is a dis-recommendation for budgetnames.ca - and probably, by
> extension, arcticnames.ca, lowcostdomains.ca, and registeryour.ca, all
> of which are run by the same group.  There may be others.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a .ca registrar they're happy
> with?  I would prefer a Toronto outfit, but since I now have a valid
> credit card it's not a big issue.

I use a friend of mine as registrar, but I wouldn't recommend it for
general use.  It generally takes a call to his cell phone to prod him to
make him realize there are requests sitting in the queue to be done.
But hey it works for me so I am not complaining.  People tat don't know
him and hence don't have the cell phone number would obviously not like
using this registrar.

If someone does recommend a good one, maybe I should consider switching
just to make life simpler in general. :)

--
Len Sorensen