Domain Name Registrar Recommendations?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 15:06:17 UTC 2007

One of my .ca domain names is up for renewal.  When I purchased my
first .ca after returning to Canada about a year and a half ago, I
didn't have a credit card so I went for the cheapest Toronto place I
could find - somewhere where I could walk in the door and pay cash.  I
chose budgetnames.ca .  They used to use tucows to register domains,
but since I registered this domain they've started their own registrar
called "arcticnames.ca".  What this has meant is that the renewal,
which should have been simple, has turned into a nightmare (partly of
my own making - I put it off, and now the deadline is, well,
tomorrow).  I can't renew online because their form says there was a
problem: "Could Not Confirm Transfer/Renewal: Cookie Invalid".  I
started a new, clean Firefox profile that accepted all cookies and got
the same error.  I've been trying to call them for a week and a half,
and they answer the phone about one time in five.  They don't seem to
answer email tech support requests.  The last time I got through on
the phone the woman assured me she'd look into it and call back in an
hour.  She has not, and once again they aren't picking up the phone.

So, this is a dis-recommendation for budgetnames.ca - and probably, by
extension, arcticnames.ca, lowcostdomains.ca, and registeryour.ca, all
of which are run by the same group.  There may be others.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a .ca registrar they're happy
with?  I would prefer a Toronto outfit, but since I now have a valid
credit card it's not a big issue.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/