Can't access my web server

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 18 16:18:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:47:27AM -0400, JoeHill wrote:

> Up until recently I could access my web server no problem, now I get
> 'connection refused'. My site is out of date and quite lame, but it does come in
> handy for other things once in awhile, like sharing stuff that is too big to be
> sent via e-mail.
>
> Of course, the correct port is forwarded, and as far as I can tell the DNS is
> correct. I use Zonedit to maintain the resolution, but now I have a static IP
> so that hasn't been all that necessary to update.
>
> One thing I notice is that when I try a ping, it shows the correct IP, but it
> looks like something in the name Teksavvy uses might be interfering:
>
> [joehill at node1:~>$]ping freeyourmachine.org
> PING freeyourmachine.org (206.248.172.54) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from 206-248-172-54.dsl.teksavvy.com (206.248.172.54): icmp_seq=1
> ttl=64 time=1.15 ms
>
> --- freeyourmachine.org ping statistics ---
> 6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5016ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.599/1.401/3.218/0.973 ms
>
> Am I correct in thinking that the problem is the
> '206-248-172-54.dsl.teksavvy.com'? If so, how would I correct that?

The reverse DNS has nothing to do with your webserver.  No problem
there.

Can you telnet from another outside machine to port 80 on your IP and
get a connection?  If not then either your firewall or your ISP is
blocking access to port 80 or your firewall isn't forwarding it in (or
back out) correctly.  tcpdump on the internal interface on the firewall
should be able to show if any port 80 packets are being forwarded in and
if any replies are being made.

--
Len Sorensen