OT: Recommendations for ADSL gateway

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 18 02:28:38 UTC 2007

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org>
>
> | > I'd be willing to loan it to you for a week or so.  That way we'd both
> | > find out if it is a reasonable device.
> |
> | Thanks for the offer, Hugh.
>
> It looks as if my offer is the same as Canada Computers' offer :-)

After the original post, I came across the 2wire at Canada Computers.
Who can resist a $20 deal? Then came your reply and offer.
Thanks, I really appreciate your offer :-)
> | I bought one last week, plugged it in and it connected.
> | However, I could not login to http://gateway.2wire.net/setup (or even
> | http://gateway.2wire.net) to configure the gateway, as per the installation
> | guide.
> |
> | I exchanged the gateway, still no luck.
> |
> | Did you manage to connect to http://gateway.2wire.net/setup?
>
> I tested this in April and remember few details.
>
> I have an ancient Alcatel SpeedTouch Home that I use to connect to
> Look.  For testing, I got a demo account from another provider
>   http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501329
> and set the 2wire ADSL modem up with that.  (Important traffic comes
> through my Look connection and I'd rather it down than
> experimentally up.)
>
> Anyway, I made some notes of my 2wire experiments and I will try to
> reconstitute them here.
>
> gateway.2wire.net is a domain name that may resolves in some universe,
> but not mine.  Use the IP address 192.168.1.254 instead.
>
> Not in my notes: I think that the gateway will act as a DHCP server
> and allocate you an address within 192.168.1.254/24.  If not, you can
> always do it yourself, manually.
>
> http://192.168.1.254 seemed to be useless.  It kept asking for a new
> password.
>
> http://192.168.1.254/management seemed to give traction.
>
> http://192.168.1.254/mdc was the same, I think
>
> http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C05&THISPAGE=C01&NEXTPAGE=C05 was
>   apparently worth writing down, but not describing :-(
>
> http://192.168.1.254/setup may have done something (I don't remember)
>
> I don't think that I figured out what some of the settings did.
> Experimentation might have solved that problem.
>
> I saw somewhere that the Bell Canada recommended key is:
> 	5225-26P4-6262-22AS-B2E7
> Googling for this string gets me 6 hits, all of which look worth
> reading (but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader).

Many thanks for digging the information up.
I'm looking it up now.
 From the AT&T store,
http://store.att.com/catalog/productdetails.asp?ProductId=1000-401047-000#headerProductFeatures
it appears that there are different versions (of firmware?).

> | A Teksavvy support rep informed me that Bell has their own firmware on the
> | gateway so it won't work.
>
> I assume that by "Bell" you mean "BCE or its subsidiaries" (eg. Bell
> Nexia).  I say that because "AT&T" owns the Bell trademarkand I think
> that you do NOT mean AT&T.

When he said Bell and since Bell Sympatico is also using 2wire, I
assumed Bell Sympatico.
Strange that Sympatico does not appear in this page of partners,
http://2wire.net/index.php?p=73.
AT&T does, as well as Telus.
> By "gateway" do you mean "ADSL modem"?  If so, I've never heard of
> this and it seems somewhat unlikely.
>
> If you meant instead "router behind the modem", I think not.  After
> all, they certainly don't have it on my router (a Linux box that I
> configured).

I mean modem-cum-router. It connects to the internet (modem) and
according to the documentation,
http://2wire.net/index.php?p=266, it also a 4-port router with wireless.
It has 4 ethernet ports and at the front panel, there is a wireless
LED(unlit on mine). Of course, there is more than 1 model.
 From the postings on the net, many who bought it from Canada Computers
and Logic Computers have the whole package going. Again, many do not and
many do not even connect.
> | My first purchase had an AT&T sticker on it. The one I exchanged had no
> | sticker.
>
> Mine says AT&T.
>
> | That may explain why I can't login to configure the gateway.
>
> I expect not.

Many thanks for the offer and help, Hugh.

Regards

Meng