OT: Recommendations for ADSL gateway

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 18 01:06:55 UTC 2007

| From: Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org>

| > I'd be willing to loan it to you for a week or so.  That way we'd both
| > find out if it is a reasonable device.
|
| Thanks for the offer, Hugh.

It looks as if my offer is the same as Canada Computers' offer :-)

| I bought one last week, plugged it in and it connected.
| However, I could not login to http://gateway.2wire.net/setup (or even
| http://gateway.2wire.net) to configure the gateway, as per the installation
| guide.
|
| I exchanged the gateway, still no luck.
|
| Did you manage to connect to http://gateway.2wire.net/setup?

I tested this in April and remember few details.

I have an ancient Alcatel SpeedTouch Home that I use to connect to
Look.  For testing, I got a demo account from another provider
  http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501329
and set the 2wire ADSL modem up with that.  (Important traffic comes
through my Look connection and I'd rather it down than
experimentally up.)

Anyway, I made some notes of my 2wire experiments and I will try to
reconstitute them here.

gateway.2wire.net is a domain name that may resolves in some universe,
but not mine.  Use the IP address 192.168.1.254 instead.

Not in my notes: I think that the gateway will act as a DHCP server
and allocate you an address within 192.168.1.254/24.  If not, you can
always do it yourself, manually.

http://192.168.1.254 seemed to be useless.  It kept asking for a new
password.

http://192.168.1.254/management seemed to give traction.

http://192.168.1.254/mdc was the same, I think

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C05&THISPAGE=C01&NEXTPAGE=C05 was
  apparently worth writing down, but not describing :-(

http://192.168.1.254/setup may have done something (I don't remember)

I don't think that I figured out what some of the settings did.
Experimentation might have solved that problem.

I saw somewhere that the Bell Canada recommended key is:
	5225-26P4-6262-22AS-B2E7
Googling for this string gets me 6 hits, all of which look worth
reading (but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader).

| A Teksavvy support rep informed me that Bell has their own firmware on the
| gateway so it won't work.

I assume that by "Bell" you mean "BCE or its subsidiaries" (eg. Bell
Nexia).  I say that because "AT&T" owns the Bell trademarkand I think
that you do NOT mean AT&T.

By "gateway" do you mean "ADSL modem"?  If so, I've never heard of
this and it seems somewhat unlikely.

If you meant instead "router behind the modem", I think not.  After
all, they certainly don't have it on my router (a Linux box that I
configured).

| My first purchase had an AT&T sticker on it. The one I exchanged had no
| sticker.

Mine says AT&T.

| That may explain why I can't login to configure the gateway.

I expect not.