ISP woes

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 14 15:35:22 UTC 2007

Scott Allen wrote:
> On Fri Oct 12,2007 10:23:34 AM Neil Watson wrote:
>> Yesterday morning my DSL connection (formerly Magma now Primus) began
>> disconnecting randomly after only a few minutes of connection
>> time.
>
> I'm having the exact same problem with a Bell Sympatico Business High
> Speed Ultra DSL link. It's been occuring since Wed. Oct. 10 at 8:14PM
> and still not resolved. Tech support said that they were 90% sure that
> it is my router, which is a PC running Coyote Linux. I swapped it with
> a different PC running BrazilFW Linux (the successor to Coyote) and
> the problem remained.

I occasionally have to deal with Sympatico on behalf of customers
through my work.  We provide communications equipment that connects to
the ADSL modem and there is no computer directly attached to the ADSL
line.  When calling Sympatico "support", I find they refuse to do
anything, if I don't click on the "Start" button.  Since there is no
computer, there is no start button.  They also refuse to escalate to
someone who might be able to assist.  I have never experienced such a
problem that wasn't a Sympatico fault.  On another occasion, I tried to
help a neighbour connect to Sympatico.  Despite 3 different modems, I
was unable to get her connected and the 3rd one completely killed her
phone service!  She then canceled Sympatico and went with Rogers.  I
then had her up & running within a few minutes.