ISP woes

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 13 10:59:30 UTC 2007

On Fri Oct 12,2007 10:23:34 AM Neil Watson wrote:
> Yesterday morning my DSL connection (formerly Magma now Primus)
> began disconnecting randomly after only a few minutes of connection
> time.

I'm having the exact same problem with a Bell Sympatico Business High
Speed Ultra DSL link. It's been occuring since Wed. Oct. 10 at 8:14PM
and still not resolved. Tech support said that they were 90% sure
that it is my router, which is a PC running Coyote Linux. I swapped
it with a different PC running BrazilFW Linux (the successor to
Coyote) and the problem remained.

When I called back they said I would have to connect a PC running a
supported O/S (Windows or Mac) directly to the line to determine if
it was my router or the DSL modem. I haven't had time to do that.

My service is supposed to include a rental router as part of the
package. I never got it but didn't bother asking for it since I use
my own router. I've now asked for them to send me this router. On my
second tech call I was told that it would be a combined DSL
modem/router. It's not expected to arrive until Monday or Tuesday.

I made a WireShark ethernet trace of the link between the DSL modem
and the router. It showed many pauses and missing responses to
messages sent from the router. (Whis this problem, missing responses
to LCP echo requests is generally what causes the link to go down).
However, there were also pauses in the some responses sent *from* the
router, which is strange. Based on this, I had suspected that there
was a problem with the modem, causing it to somehow frequently jam
the ethernet line. Since you are reporting the same problem, and it
seems unlikely that your modem went bad at the same time as mine,
it's probably something at the other end.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **