I don't want to cross post to this political mail list but ............

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 11 06:01:22 UTC 2007

hmm. Actually at the moment I work in a school district and we've been
slowly moving more towards linux over time.

For quite awhile our elementary schools have had thin-client Linux
labs. They were pretty dumpy for a long time though, since the
district was running with a lot of used hardware machines ranged from
between Pentium to P-3. Icewm was the general desktop, although after
joining up I added iDesk to allow for at least some nice backgrounds
and desktop icon support. It was ugly, but we tended to skimp on the
desktops and then have more loaded servers so stuff could be run
remotely with X-forwarding. Even if the desktop was a big win95'esque,
they could still run recent versions of OO and firefox etc

Now that the ball has been rolling, we've rolled out faster client's,
so it's somewhat of a thick-client setup with all storage on the
network (no hard drives, PXE boot) but most apps running locally. Full
KDE Desktops, 3d acceleration, and even Beryl just so people can go
"oooo." Whole schools are in the processes of being converted.

So far things are looking decent. The biggest fallback is some user
re-education, and that required software (such as simply accounting)
lacks native linux versions. These are currently run through a special
server that runs multiple VM's for different sites, connected to
through NX and rDesktop. That any dumb things, like when one of our
techs decided to hook the school up with daisy-chained 10/100 switches
and no gigabit uplinks (doesn't work very well when literally
everything is run through the network). Of course server downtime
because a very major issue as well, as well as network integrity and
wiring, etc. As we're connecting locations through centralized fibre
I'm hoping this issue will lessen as offsite backups and server-pods
with redundancy an be connected for more locations.

Still, cool to see. There's definitely a major cost in infrastructure
upgrades, and issues with proprietary software, but overall
centralized administration is becoming easier, hardware replacement is
a snap (just replace the box and re-register the MAC), and the desktop
environment + features are looking better every day.

Sadly, we may have to treat a few cases of frozen-bubble-addiction
shortly, but hey, it's better than solitaire!