The Inhumanity of MMP

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 01:35:10 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Marcus Brubaker wrote:
>
> > the way the
> > proposal is right now, list members can also be running in local
> > ridings. This allows parties to, for instance, put their leaders on the
> > top of the lists to ensure that they get into parliament even if they
> > loose their local riding (like John Tory seems set to do tomorrow).
>
> So, if a party-favourite candidate is rejected by his own community, he
> should be offered a consolation-prize seat in the legislature anyway?
> This strikes me as a bug rather than a feature -- not to mention the
> possibility that big chunks of the Cabinet (or all of it) could be list
> candidates with no direct public accountability. No thanks.
Of course, if a party were to disregard public opinion (this is done
in a democracy?) then it is up to our free press and democratic rights
to punish said party.  The answer to possible electoral abuse is not a
narrowing of the franchise, rather extending the people's electoral
freedom.  The right to be represented in government is a novelty in
our current system but it doesn't have to remain that way.

Randy

> - Evan

Oscar Developer
McMaster University