FPTP vs MMP

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 00:20:46 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Really? Seems to me that the retards that we have in power federally don't have
> a majority and have undertaken some of the most radical and unpopular
> reformations of Canadian policy in generations, and they did it in just over a
> year.

What "most radical and unpopular reformations"?

a) Continuing the previous Liberal's policy of having troops in Afganistan?
b) Cutting the GST rate, which was one of the unfulfilled promises of
the previous Liberal governments?

My MP has sent me letters claiming this sort of thing, but just
because an opposition MP *says* that this is so does not mean that the
Honourable Member is actually telling anything that resembles truth.

Indeed, if the Conservatives were actually 'guilty' of such, then the
REALITY is that it was the incompetence of a succession of Liberal
governments, including current Liberal opposition, for putting in
place the conditions making whatever it is that is accused possible.

> Again, the right-wing hysteria ends up being the exact opposite of the truth.

Well, left-wing hysteria also seems to be the exact opposite of the
truth.  Minority governments don't get to enact the legislation that
they want to; they get to enact the legislation that the coalition
will agree to.  And none of the *other* bits of the coalitions that
have had to be built, Federally, were "wild right wing hysterics."
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)