FPTP vs MMP

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 18:34:27 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:
> Seems to me that the retards that we have in power federally don't have
> a majority and have undertaken some of the most radical and unpopular
> reformations of Canadian policy in generations, and they did it in just over a
> year.

"Radical and unpopular"? Not really. There have been no grand
initiatives such as the GST, NAFTA, or Meech Lake. Policies on Iraq were
maintained form the previous government.

> Of course, they've done this with the assurance that no matter what, they will
> be reelected in sufficient numbers the next time around because the vocal
> minority of people who follow Nascar and have 'We Support the Troops' stickers
> on their SUV's will continue to vote for them because that's what they were told
> to do by Reader's Digest and CFRB.
Ah, when all else fails, just toss in a little stereotypical contempt
for the voters.

I've not voted conservative in decades, though at one time or another
I've voted for every party (including the Rhinos). I've not heard more
than 30 minutes of CFRM in my life, and most of that 30 minutes was
Gordon Sinclair. Last federal election I voted Green.

And I oppose MMP.

> I'm sure I _shouldn't_ need to mention the unbelievable political inertia we saw under so many successive Liberal majorities.

And yet Mulroney was also able to get majority governments. As did Bob
Rae, and a pile of NDP provincial governments out west.

In the meantime, I don't see anyone talking about Stephane Dion building
a political dynasty anytime soon.

And I'll take political inertia over political stagnation (the signature
of endless coalition governments). When you said we'd be more like
Switzerland, you weren' t far off -- probably closer to Belgium.

> Again, the right-wing hysteria ends up being the exact opposite of the truth.

Whatever. The MMP machine has been full of its own rabid hype as well.

- Evan