The Inhumanity of MMPyy

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 23:45:58 UTC 2007

Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>    I would hope not. Membership in more than one party (except
>    possibly different parties at federal and provincial levels) makes
>    no sense.

It would make perverse sense under MMP. The party of your favourite
individual candidate might not be your preferred list-level party; you
might want to affect policy for both of those parties.

If you can vote for two different parties, why shouldn't you be able to
belong to two different parties? I can foresee court challenges to the
NDP (and any other) exclusivity clauses if MMP comes into force.

- Evan