OT: Chess set

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 8 17:11:25 UTC 2007

--- Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Paul Nash wrote:
> > I'm looking for a chess set for a friend's
> birthday.  There are a bunch of
> > nice sets on eBay, but I'd like to feel the pieces
> first, so does anyone
> > know a shop in Toronto that has a good selection
> of decent and/or funky
> > chess sets.  I'm looking to spend about $100 on a
> set plus board.
> >
> Is your friend a serious chess player? Do you expect
> him to use the gift
> to play with?
>
> If so, a decorative set is *not* a good choice.
> Chess players want to
> use a Staunton style, only.

Your right that THE standard for tournament play is
the Staunton style. I have a Staunton style set, and
that is what I turn to by default. On the other hand I
do have and in a perverse way do like one of the
decorative style sets where all the pieces are modeled
after members of a medieval European court. So,
question to be considered is, "Will the set be used
for primarily for tournament play or will it be used
for decorative purposes?".

Back to the original question, where to get a range of
chess sets in the GTA, and my first suggestion would
be:

  Strategy Games
  1683 Bayview Avenue
  Toronto, Ontario
  M4G 3C1
  (416) 486-3395

www.chesstalk.com/boutique/store/index.php?langue=EN

Dozens of different designs. In looking at their
website sets (with boards) range from under $4 (for a
tiny magnetic set whose ONLY saving grace is that it
can fold up and fit into a small pocket) all the way
up to decorative sets that run for over $1,400.
Tournament size/weight plastic Staunton style sets
start around $20 (with more expensive wood versions
available)...

Colin McGregor