FPTP vs MMP

Andrew Heagle andrew-vUgxaBqSMS7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 8 06:12:22 UTC 2007

On October 7, 2007 15:23:13 Evan Leibovitch wrote:

<snip>

> And your point is...? Anyone can get involved if the will exists. IMO
> the promises that MMP will energize the electorate at large are pure BS
> wishful thinking. The only ones energized will be single-issue groups
> such as anti-abortion or pro-marijuana activists (both of whom have
> their own parties), and that is not the kind of presence that will make
> the province governed better. (Arguably the vastly out-of-proportion
> power of small but rabid anti-Palestinean political parties in Israel
> such as Shas -- a gift of its MMP style system -- has been a severe
> impediment to peace in the region.)

Israel uses a Party List system, *NOT* MMP. They have NO ridings or regions in
their electoral system. Also, I think comparing Israel and Ontario doesn't
really apply as Israel has 2 (maybe more) very large groups of people that
want to kill each other, as well, Israel is completely surrounded by
countries that want to destroy it. This is bound to create many people (and
politicians) that are going to be very right-wing/radical so that should not
be too much of a surprise. Last time I checked, Ontario had no such problems
as these, and I don't think these fringe groups you are so scared will cause
such extreme problems as you describe.

Anyway, why would groups like the anti-abortion group need to start a party
when they can already "buy" candidates, even in the Liberal party?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wappel

> Now... having said that, there _are_ some steps that can assist smaller
> parties, for instance granting official party status based on number of
> votes rather than number of MPPs. But MMP is not the right answer.
>
> - Evan

What purpose is there to grant a party of official party status if they have
no seats?

Andrew