FPTP vs MMP

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 7 19:45:26 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Both systems have the capacity to give power to parties out of
> proportion to the popular vote -- one is weighted towards smaller
> parties, one towards larger ones. To me, the MMP approach is by far the
> worse of the two types of inequity.

I agree. Any political party that hopes to form a government has to be a
"big tent" party so that tends to even out excesses, though it can also
be argued that it tends to drive parties to mediocrity where no bold
initiatives can ever be put forth. Perhaps the place to look is within
the parties themselves to find out more about how they set their
policies, how they elect their leaders, and how they nominate their
candidates for election in ridings. Parties that have "one member, one
vote" and transparent policy conventions and nomination/leadership
election processes are more representative than parties where they have
arcane rules for nomination/leadership elections.
--
Regards,

Clifford