FPTP vs MMP

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 6 23:46:10 UTC 2007

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Do remember that it was a group of citizens that came up with the
> proposal. That is, a group of our (the electorate) peers.

So? We did not vote for members of that "citizen assembly". If that
assembly is supposed to be representative by virtue of having been
picked at random from the citizenry, why do we bother with elections and
not pick our governments that way as well? Note: I am not suggesting we
do this.

> Also, I might point out a certain http://www.parlament.ch/e/homepage,
> where proportional representation has served well for a few hundred
> years...

And I might point out that Canada's model of government is based upon
the Westminster parliamentary system, which has been around much longer
than just about any other democratic form of government. The
ineffectiveness and the seeming propensity of otherwise intelligent men
and women turning into blathering idiots once they are in office has
more to do with an uninformed citizenry with short attention spans than
some feature of our electoral system. In other words, as long as
political contests are nothing more than beauty contests and with adept
spin doctoring, a party can convince the electorate that their otherwise
indefensible positions on certain issues are the right positions, we get
exactly the governments we deserve. I do not believe MMP will change any
of that and will have some unintended consequences.

I have been reading reports that New Zealanders are not happy with MMP
after having voted for it. Whether that reflects majority opinion or
not, I do not know.

For an interesting essay about the issue of electoral reform in the
Westminster parliamentary system, see:
<http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~pnorris/Acrobat/APSA%202000%20bpg%20Twilight.pdf>.
--
Regards,