Learning to Program

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 2 18:16:31 UTC 2007

Kevin Morris wrote:
> thanks for sharing your experience. I work in QA as a tester, we test fixes, upgrades or new software. However, it does not get technical as we only do UAT. I much rather be coding than testing a process, so I am bored out of my mind and not challenged. But it pays my bills and take care of my family.
>
> I graduated with a degree in Comp Sci last Aug. Before going back to school as a mature student, I worked for a Bank supporting installations of ATM machines, daily maintenance of the these machines etc...
>
> At work, as well as at home, I do some skunk projects in Java, PHP and C. This has helped me build skills beyond the basic level but I have not participated in a full SDLC in a 'real project' nor do I have a piece of software that has been implemented for a client.
>
> I will take the good suggestions from people like yourself and build a portfolio and focus on marketing my skill set so that I can move into a job that I will find rewarding.
>
> Cheers
> Kev

There was a speech given recently by a dieing professor. I am sure
someone here has the link.

One part of the speech he spoke about working for Disney, and how it had
been a life dream. He spoke of the walls he faced in reaching his goal,
and how he came to see those walls as a challenge. As he said, "walls"
are to keep out people who don't want something badly enough".

If you want to do something badly enough; be it program or finger paint
of sidewalks, you will find a way to do it.

Best of luck!

Madi

PS - Ever thought of looking for an existing open-source project and
contributing to it?