Learning to Program

Kevin Morris kevjmorris-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 2 17:26:39 UTC 2007

thanks for sharing your experience. I work in QA as a tester, we test fixes, upgrades or new software. However, it does not get technical as we only do UAT. I much rather be coding than testing a process, so I am bored out of my mind and not challenged. But it pays my bills and take care of my family.

I graduated with a degree in Comp Sci last Aug. Before going back to school as a mature student, I worked for a Bank supporting installations of ATM machines, daily maintenance of the these machines etc...

At work, as well as at home, I do some skunk projects in Java, PHP and C. This has helped me build skills beyond the basic level but I have not participated in a full SDLC in a 'real project' nor do I have a piece of software that has been implemented for a client.

I will take the good suggestions from people like yourself and build a portfolio and focus on marketing my skill set so that I can move into a job that I will find rewarding.

Cheers
Kev