Asus Eee (low cost notebook) pre-oder offer sighted

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 1 12:53:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 01:50:38PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> True.  I think that the keyboard is "Bilinual Canadian" so it should
> work for us too.  Probably good for us, in fact (like spinach).

Unless the layout is so messed up you can't type on it.

> I don't know the layout.  Z243.200-91 is the intellectual property of
> SCC.  I think that there is an extra key on the home row, just to the
> left of the Enter key.
>   http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/its-nit/standards/tbits05/crit05_e.asp?format=print
>
> Nice table.  Perhaps wrong.  I don't know what the colour coding
> means.
>
> - The table says that the Eee has a camera.  The Anitec ad lists the
>   webcam on the C$330 and C$430 models, not the C$290 model.

Seems the price is:
$290 for 2GB and 256MB
add $40 for webcam
add $100 to double flash and ram to 4GB and 512MB.

> - The table lists flash on the Eee as 8G but Anitec lists it as 2G on the
>   lower two models and 4G on the higher one.

8G is the maximum you can currently get.

> - The table says that RAM is 512M.  Anitec says 256M on the lower two
>   models.

512MB is the maximum you can currently get.

> - the mass of the Eee looks nicely low.

Yeah only about half of what my wife's laptop weighs.

> - The Eee's display has the same number of pixels as my Nokia 770.
>   I'd like more.  (My Nokia cost half of what the Anitec charges
>   for the Eee, but that was an end-of-life bargain.)

Yeah, a bit more screen would be nice.  It looks like the case is big
enough for maybe a 10", but who knows what that would do the the battery
life and cost.  1280x800 wouldn't be bad if you could get that.

--
Len Sorensen