Ubuntu Gutsy Cursor Cut-Off

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 28 16:10:41 UTC 2007

When I first installed Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10), I tried to upgrade on my
PowerBook from Fiesty Fawn (7.04).  Once it had upgraded, the cursors
in X went all funky.  It stopped being the default 'human' cursors
(the white ones) and defaulted to the black X cursors (or at least
something similar to them).  And all of the cursors were cut off in a
weird way.

It was like someone split the cursor in two and swapped the halves so
that the parts that should be in the middle were now on the edges.  I
couldn't figure out how to fix this, and figured my install was borked
to I just reinstalled from scratch.

After a fresh install, the cursor theme was back the default Ubuntu
one with the 'Human' themed cursors, but a few of the Firefox cursors
exhibit the same behavior.  The only one that I can think of off the
top of my head is the 'zoom' cursor that it gives you when you are
viewing an image that's larger than the size of the rendering area in
Firefox.

I don't even know where I would have to look to fix such a problem.
What could be the problem?  The only thing that I can figure is that a
particular way of rendering cursors is broken.  Because some cursors
work and some don't.  It would be very very odd if it just happened to
be corrupted cursor files because it happened a second time, but only
to the Firefox cursors.

--
Brandon Sandrowicz