Recommendation on Barebone kit reseller

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 23 15:40:36 UTC 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 10:03 AM, Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
> I need to buy 2 desktop systems to run VMWare. Anyone have recommendations
> on places with the best prices?

We all have our favourites. I've seen good prices from Sonnam [1] at
Spadina/College, and they're also fine about making it right if the hardware
fails. About two years ago I brought back a dead power supply with the paper
work, and after testing it and confirming it was bad, they gave me a new
one, no problem, no arguments, no upselling.

My recent purchases:

[] 500G IDE drive for $119, just this week.
[] Used Dell P4-3 system, 1G RAM, 40G drive, $349, about three months ago.
(The same price gets you the same system but with 2G RAM now)
[] Used Dell P4-2.4 system, 1G RAM, 40G drive, $299, about four months ago.

The used systems [2] are a pretty decent bang for the buck, and the staff
are organized and professional. I'd love to drop $1000 or more for a dual
core, dual head monster, but I have enough hardware to keep me going for
now.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario