Recommendation on Barebone kit reseller

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 23 16:39:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 10:03:12AM -0500, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> I need to buy 2 desktop systems to run VMWare. Anyone have recommendations
> on places with the best prices?

I like shopping at canada computers personally, where I go and pick up
whatever parts I want and put them together.

A Core 2 system should run VMware quite well, and 2GB of DDR2-6400 ram
can be had for about $55, so that makes sense to get.

Most Core 2 systems support virtualization instructions which make
vmware run more efficiently, and ram always helps too.  A pentium 4 will
not and is also immensily inefficient (both power wise and in terms of
getting instructions processed in a reasonable time, so forget that such
obsolete technology exists no matter how cheap it looks).  If you are on
a serious budget, look at the Athlon 64 X2 instead, since they are much
better than the P4, although not as good as the Core 2.

For motherboard I only ever use asus, I never get anything with onboard
video, and I use intel or nvidia chipsets for intel cpus, and nvidia
chipsets for amd cpus (I used to use via but don't anymore).

I could make a complete list of what I would consider a good system if
interested, but if not I won't bother.

--
Len Sorensen