slave drive mounting where?

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 22 19:40:30 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:

<snip>
>> That should mount the drive temporarily as /mnt, move the files that
>> should have gone to it, onto it, then unmount it, then append a line to
>> /etc/fstab for the drive, then mount all filesystems listed in fstab.
>>
> Everything worked just like you said it would. I checked /etc/fstab -
> it's fine. Thanks - you gave me 4% of my primary hard disk space back.
And, what else I like about your commands is that it I now have what was
in the unmounted /bckupdrv (effectively just a directory under /) /plus/
the mounted /bckupdrv files (the .ogg's). Funny that there was anything
on the mounted (dev/sdb1) version of /bckupdrv at all - I know I did a
backup (scp) of files from another computer to that drive a while back -
the files must have backed up to the /mounted/ version (/dev/sdb1 on
/bckupdrv) instead of the unmounted version (/bckupdrv). Why would an
scp command send files from another computer to /dev/sdb1 on /bckupdrv,
yet simply saving files on the computer locally (from, say, Sound
Juicer) send them only to /bckupdrv (/dev/sda1 or whatever)? I would
guess the answer is that the scp command mounts drives if they aren't
already mounted. However, how would it even know that I want /dev/sdb1
mounted on /bckupdrv if there was no record of it in /etc/fstab? Does
scp read minds? Or maybe what I was calling the "gui partitioner" left
my mount desire somewhere that only scp can find it. Or maybe those
files are old ones (I'll check) that were there all along when I was
trying to restore that drive a few weeks ago. But then why aren't the
old .ogg's still on them?

The troubleshoot is over so I guess I don't need answers to these
questions that bad. Interesting though...

Chris

<snip>