slave drive mounting where?

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 22 22:26:08 UTC 2007

On Nov 22, 2007 2:40 PM, Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Chris Aitken wrote:
> > Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >>
> <snip>
> >> That should mount the drive temporarily as /mnt, move the files that
> >> should have gone to it, onto it, then unmount it, then append a line to
> >> /etc/fstab for the drive, then mount all filesystems listed in fstab.
> >>
> > Everything worked just like you said it would. I checked /etc/fstab -
> > it's fine. Thanks - you gave me 4% of my primary hard disk space back.
> And, what else I like about your commands is that it I now have what was
> in the unmounted /bckupdrv (effectively just a directory under /) /plus/
> the mounted /bckupdrv files (the .ogg's). Funny that there was anything
> on the mounted (dev/sdb1) version of /bckupdrv at all - I know I did a
> backup (scp) of files from another computer to that drive a while back -
> the files must have backed up to the /mounted/ version (/dev/sdb1 on
> /bckupdrv) instead of the unmounted version (/bckupdrv). Why would an
> scp command send files from another computer to /dev/sdb1 on /bckupdrv,
> yet simply saving files on the computer locally (from, say, Sound
> Juicer) send them only to /bckupdrv (/dev/sda1 or whatever)? I would
> guess the answer is that the scp command mounts drives if they aren't
> already mounted. However, how would it even know that I want /dev/sdb1
> mounted on /bckupdrv if there was no record of it in /etc/fstab? Does
> scp read minds? Or maybe what I was calling the "gui partitioner" left
> my mount desire somewhere that only scp can find it. Or maybe those
> files are old ones (I'll check) that were there all along when I was
> trying to restore that drive a few weeks ago. But then why aren't the
> old .ogg's still on them?
>
> The troubleshoot is over so I guess I don't need answers to these
> questions that bad. Interesting though...
>

> Chris
>
> <snip>

You said that it worked for a while and it was mounted with gparted (I
figure that was the 'gui partition tool').  So it *was* mounted,
however briefly before you had problems with it not automounting from
fstab.  That could have been when it was there.  Or else it could have
been in fstab but something else either modified fstab, or reverted it
to a previous version.