OT: Buying an iPod in Toronto: recommendations please

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 19:20:13 UTC 2007

On November 20, 2007 02:07:59 pm James Knott wrote:
> JoeHill wrote:
> > Alex Beamish wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> It's going to be a high-tech birthday for my wife -- I'm getting
> >> her a 500G (or so) hard drive to expand her existing system (she's
> >> used up her 35G drive already, if you can believe it), and I'm
> >> also planning on getting her an iPod. I usually shop at Sonnam [1,
> >> at Spadina/College] for computer parts, but I know there's an
> >> Apple store kitty corner to that where I can probably buy an iPod.
> >> Carbon Computing doesn't have iPods on their web site so I'm
> >> guessing they don't sell them.
> >>
> >> Any thumbs up/thumbs down recommendations for where to buy an iPod
> >> in Toronto? Thanks.
> >
> > I got mine at Bay Bloor Radio. Although you might save $20 dollars
> > if you go to Futureshop, it's not worth it. They're the same price
> > everywhere.
> >
> > Also, when I bought mine at Bay Bloor, I was able to pick up a
> > kickin' set of headphones. You won't find better 'phones than at
> > Bay Bloor, and the ear buds that come with the iPod are...less than
> > impressive.
>
> Considering the source is MP3, how much will a kickin' set of
> headphones improve sound over a decent pair?

Unless you've spent $500+ on a good set of cans, or $1000+ on speakers,
and more on an amp, I challenge anyone to discern the difference
between an mp3 at 192kbps, or an ogg at q7.

I recall someone on a list arguing that they could tell the difference
between an uncompressed flac and the original wav file, even though the
md5sum of both was identical.

What I'm saying I guess, is that for the most part, it's all in people's
heads...

Jamon