portrait mode monitor (AND)

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 16 05:34:42 UTC 2007

On November 15, 2007 05:04:27 pm tleslie wrote:
> I have a nvidia 7900 GT dual dual link,
> and
> i put a 30" hp and a 22" samsung on it,
> and running the 30 at 2560x1600 and 22 at 1600x1200 but
>  it wouldn't allow it, said
> desktop width was grater then XXXX (cant remember what it was,
> but i want the 4160 wide.
>
> Now i have the 22" at 1400x1200 (or 1280x1024),
> what i want to do is put the samsung in portrait,
> but the flag (at least what i can see) applies to the
> whole card and put both monitors portrait
> i just want one.
> i want the 30" hp to be  2560x1600 and a portrait samsung beside it
> at 1200x1600, for a nice combo of 3760x1600
>
> not sure if you will run into some of my issues, if your doing quad,
> surely youll run into the width limit it did.
>
> i gotta find out how to split the card (so to speak) and have a
> seperate x.org control section for each card within the card so to
> speak.
>
> -tl
>
> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 16:47 -0500, Interlug Lists wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm messing with my monitor setup.  I've been running dual-head for
> > a while and like it.  Now I'm messing with quad-head, and have the
> > basics working.  As part of my fooling around with this stuff I'd
> > like to get the monitors to work in portrait mode.  That is, with
> > the long axis of the monitor vertical.  Mechanically, this s not a
> > problem, but I'm not having any luck with the video driver /
> > configuration for this.
> >
> > Any tips on getting portrait mode to work?  Am I limited to
> > specific drivers / resolutions / specialty cards / invocations and
> > sacrifices?

You'd want to have a go with xrandr for that. Probably best to setup
each monitor with TwinView enabled as well to separate the metamodes
for them to give you more control over each individual monitor. I'm not
really sure how you'd do that with 4 monitors though.

> > My video cards are ATI radeons:
> > #0 and #1 agp
> >
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AQ
> > [Radeon 9600]
> >
> > #2 and #3 pci
> >
> > 02:06.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
> > RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
> >
> > Double bonus points to anybody who can point me towards the way to
> > get CONSOLE / non GUI mode working in portrait mode as well.  ;-)

Yeah, that would be pretty neat. Anyone?