iPod Nano

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 16 00:34:20 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:

<snip>

I did all the stuff you suggested here, last evening.
> Not really. According the README, it should be something like 'FirewireGuid:
> 0xffffffffffffffff'.
>
> Make sure you iPod is mounted (this is not always automatic, I have to connect
> mine, then right click on it in 'Places' and select 'mount'. Then try this
> manual method from the README.sysinfo, see what you get.

Mine automounts. I can verify that with the df -h command I just learned
today:

[chris at p733 ~]$ df -h
<snip>
/dev/sdd1             3.7G   12M  3.7G   1% /media/IPOD_

But here is where things change tonight (I should have written this
email yesterday), because last night I didn't know that the mountpoint
is actually /media/IPOD_ not /media/IPOD

> As root do:
>
> lsusb -v | grep -i Serial

That worked as well:
[root at p733 chris]# /sbin/lsusb -v | grep -i Serial
  iSerial                 3 000A27001A524DE4
  iSerial                 3 MY5BLF32YZL0
  iSerial                 1 0000:00:1f.4

> this should print a 16 character long string like 00A1234567891231. For an iPod
> Touch, this number will be much longer than 16 characters, the firewire ID is
> constituted by the first 16 characters. Once you have that number,
> create/edit /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo (if your iPod is mounted
> at /mnt/ipod). Add to that file the line below:
>
> FirewireGuid: 0xffffffffffffffff

Yup, now I've got the contents of
/media/IPOD_/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo as,
ModelNumStr: xA426
FirewireGuid: 0x000A27001A524DE4

I've also got that in the /media/IPOD/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo [no
underscore on mountpoint] just in case:
ModelNumStr: xA426
FirewireGuid: 0x000A27001A524DE4
> (replace ffffffffffffffff with the string you obtained at the previous step
> and don't forget the trailing 0x before the string)

Done.
> Also noticed this test:
>
> you can test that libgpod can find the firewire ID on your iPod by running:
>
> libgpod/tests/test-firewire-id /ipod/mount/point

Here they are:
[root at p733 chris]# libgpod/tests/test-firewire-id /media/IPOD_
FireWire ID: 0x000A27001A524DE4
[root at p733 chris]# libgpod/tests/test-firewire-id /media/IPOD
FireWire ID: 000A27001A524DE4

Interesting how only one of the IDs has the trailing 0x even though they
both have the trailing 0x in the files they refer to...

Learning lots?: yup
End in sight?: dunno

Chris