Tracking HD activity

Craig Routledge lists-MKqfGmd6cJs0gtvRndBQZNBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 13 17:46:28 UTC 2007

On 2007-11-13 10:35, Giles Orr wrote:
> The hard drive light on my computer has been flashing about once a
> second for a week or more now, regardless of what's going on on the
> computer.  It does this even when I kill all user programs and close X
> entirely, so that eliminates a huge block of programs right there.  Is
> there a program similar to "top" for disk usage?

You could try "lsof -X".  You need to be root if you wish to see processes
owned by root.

> Any other suggestions on how to track down the culprit?  I suppose I
> could use "kill -9" on every process listed by "ps ax" until it stopped,
> but I'm trying to find a more elegant solution.  Thanks.

That could be dangerous, since signal 9 doesn't give the process a chance
to shutdown cleanly.  Some of those processes do low-level stuff.

Personally, I would hesitate to even do an ordinary kill unless I knew what
the process did.  It might make a mess which is difficult to diagnose and
clean up later.

To safely eliminate the largest number of programs at once, you could
switch to runlevel 1.  If it still does it then, that's very strange.