Tracking HD activity

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 13 15:35:36 UTC 2007

The hard drive light on my computer has been flashing about once a
second for a week or more now, regardless of what's going on on the
computer.  It does this even when I kill all user programs and close X
entirely, so that eliminates a huge block of programs right there.  Is
there a program similar to "top" for disk usage?  Any other
suggestions on how to track down the culprit?  I suppose I could use
"kill -9" on every process listed by "ps ax" until it stopped, but I'm
trying to find a more elegant solution.  Thanks.

Partial system specs:
Debian testing
Linux glo 2.6.21-2-k7 #1 SMP Wed Jul 11 04:29:08 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
AMD 2700+, two HDs, two optical drives (all IDE)

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org