XP/Ubuntu dual-boot

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 13 15:41:48 UTC 2007

I'm thinking of installing XP and Ubuntu as a dual-boot on my daughter's
machine. Her birthday is less than two weeks away. I want to be able to
have her iPod work for her. I hope Craig and Joe won't take this as an
invitation to discontinue the iPod/gtkpod installation on my fedora 7
computer. I'd like to keep on with that. This is just a contingency. As
repulsive as it is to me, I hear the iPod will magically work under XP.
It sounds like it has a better chance working under Ubuntu (than fedora
7) as well. I've been wanting to try a debian-based system for some
time. I hear that Ubuntu is a nice safe place for fedora chickens like
me to start with debian-based OSs.

So, just to be clear: I'm not giving up on fedora 7 (it is on my
production machine for our business so I can't get rid of it lightly),
but I want to try an XP/Ubuntu dual-boot on my daughter's machine.

1. What is the latest stable version of Ubuntu and what a good site to
get the iso from?
2. Is it best to install XP or Ubuntu first.

Chris