XP/Ubuntu dual-boot

Stephen W. Clarke stephenc-wtWqQT8woy8 at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 13 15:55:40 UTC 2007

Chris,

I cannot speak to the iPod issue, however, I use a laptop with the
XP/Ubuntu dual boot set-up as you describe. The lastest version of Ubuntu
is 7.10 and I like to download from linuxtorrent.org or from the download
link at distrowatch.com.

When I first set up my laptop I installed XP first and created 4
partitions with the XP setup utility. (I have one partition for XP, one
partition for Ubuntu, one partition for a swap space and a fourth
partition for data storage that is accessible from both XP and Ubuntu.

Once XP was installed on I installed Ubuntu to the partition I had set
aside for it and the grub automatically allows me to choose the OS at boot
time.

Stephen

On Tue, November 13, 2007 10:41, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I'm thinking of installing XP and Ubuntu as a dual-boot on my daughter's
> machine. Her birthday is less than two weeks away. I want to be able to
> have her iPod work for her. I hope Craig and Joe won't take this as an
> invitation to discontinue the iPod/gtkpod installation on my fedora 7
> computer. I'd like to keep on with that. This is just a contingency. As
> repulsive as it is to me, I hear the iPod will magically work under XP. It
> sounds like it has a better chance working under Ubuntu (than fedora 7) as
> well. I've been wanting to try a debian-based system for some time. I hear
> that Ubuntu is a nice safe place for fedora chickens like me to start with
> debian-based OSs.
>
> So, just to be clear: I'm not giving up on fedora 7 (it is on my
> production machine for our business so I can't get rid of it lightly), but
> I want to try an XP/Ubuntu dual-boot on my daughter's machine.
>

> 1. What is the latest stable version of Ubuntu and what a good site to
> get the iso from? 2. Is it best to install XP or Ubuntu first.
>

> Chris

Stephen W. Clarke
Marketing and Communications Officer
Nray Services Inc.