iPod Nano

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 9 18:22:52 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
> > Chris Aitken wrote:
> >

> <snip>
> >> So, nano plays mp4's not mp3's?
> >>

> > Both, mp3 audio and mp4 video. On my classic I've been going kinda nuts,
> > I've got two seasons of Futurama, one season of Venture Bros, and two
> > seasons of Rescue Me.
> I think Futurama is that Matt Groening space cartoon, but the other two
> I don't know. We don't have cable TV - I've been told Bruce Springsteen
> wrote a song, "57 Channels and Nothin' On" - that sums up my attitude
> toward TV. Does your kid make her own Kraft Dinner while you're doing
> all this?
>
> :)

Nah, what you're going through I did in a few hours between 3 AM and 7 AM
after I got this new iPod home and realized I couldn't use it. I was _pissed_.
After you've been through this process a few times, you'll see, it gets pretty
mechanical, so you can quite easily get your iPod goin' (or whatever it is that
day) _and_ make lunch for the little...uh...'cuties' ;)

> > It's nice having 80GB 8-)
> >
> It's tough keeping up with the Joneses.

Tell me about it, this is the only thing I own that comes even close to being
'hip'. I drive a '97 Subaru fer chrissakes.

> >> I uninstalled and re-installed pirut (Add/Remove Programs) and grabbed
> >> gtkpod that way. I figured that pirut would solve dependencies that way.
> >> I typed 'gtkpod' and the application opened. So, does that change
> >> anything or should I still complete your steps? Maybe when I got pirut
> >> to install gtkpod it brought with it the correct libgtk+, thought rpm
> >> does not indicate this:
> >>

> > No, you need the gtk2-devel package. Craig left some instructions in reply
> > to one of my other posts, they should let you find the exact package you
> > need. He's using Fedora too, so it should be gtk2-devel. Then try and build
> > gtkpod again.
> >
> OKay, I'm in the middle of that now.
> >

> >> [root at p733 chris]# rpm -q libgtk+
> >> package libgtk+ is not installed
> >>
> >> Of course I couldn't resist trying gtkpod. You are right - it is a much
> >> easier interface than amarok. However, I got the same problem - the
> >> application (this time gtkpod instead of amarok) thinks it uploaded an
> >> .mp3 to the iPod, but the iPod does not list it - again, "no songs".
> >>

> > Amarok still doesn't have the ability to use the new iTunesdb.
> >
> Okay, though I was talking about /gtkpod/ here, not amarok - I'm having
> the same problem with both - the app thinks it loaded the song to the
> iPod but the iPod begs to differ.
> >

> >> So, do I carry on with your steps (I would be at the gtk/gtk2/gtk+
> >> finding/installing phase) or do I install ffmpeg to convert mp3's to
> >> mp4's and then load them on the iPod vian gtkpod? Again, I now have
> >> gtkpod, it thinks it loads .mp3's on teh iPod, but the iPod does not agree?
> >>

> > You can't use the gtkpod from packages, you need to install the svn version
> > you downloaded (the one that needs gtk2-devel to build).
> Rats, there I go havin' ta lurn stuff agin!

After you do it a couple of times, it becomes ridiculously easy, especially
because once you have all that development crap loaded, you're good to go for
the next time.

> >  Sorry for the confusion
> > about mp3 vs. mp4, I'm getting excited, you're almost there.
> >
> You and I both.
> > So, just to recap:
> >
> > Install gtk2-devel
> >
> > To build gtkpod, run ./autogen.sh, ./configure --prefix=/usr, make, and if
> > it completes do make install.
> >
> Yup, I'm working through that now.

Cool!

--