iPod Nano

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 8 19:02:40 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:
> Chris Aitken wrote:

<snip>
>> So, nano plays mp4's not mp3's?
>>

> Both, mp3 audio and mp4 video. On my classic I've been going kinda nuts, I've
> got two seasons of Futurama, one season of Venture Bros, and two seasons of
> Rescue Me.
I think Futurama is that Matt Groening space cartoon, but the other two
I don't know. We don't have cable TV - I've been told Bruce Springsteen
wrote a song, "57 Channels and Nothin' On" - that sums up my attitude
toward TV. Does your kid make her own Kraft Dinner while you're doing
all this?

:)

> It's nice having 80GB 8-)

It's tough keeping up with the Joneses.

>> I uninstalled and re-installed pirut (Add/Remove Programs) and grabbed
>> gtkpod that way. I figured that pirut would solve dependencies that way.
>> I typed 'gtkpod' and the application opened. So, does that change
>> anything or should I still complete your steps? Maybe when I got pirut
>> to install gtkpod it brought with it the correct libgtk+, thought rpm
>> does not indicate this:
>>

> No, you need the gtk2-devel package. Craig left some instructions in reply to
> one of my other posts, they should let you find the exact package you need.
> He's using Fedora too, so it should be gtk2-devel. Then try and build gtkpod
> again.

OKay, I'm in the middle of that now.

>> [root at p733 chris]# rpm -q libgtk+
>> package libgtk+ is not installed
>>
>> Of course I couldn't resist trying gtkpod. You are right - it is a much
>> easier interface than amarok. However, I got the same problem - the
>> application (this time gtkpod instead of amarok) thinks it uploaded an
>> .mp3 to the iPod, but the iPod does not list it - again, "no songs".
>>

> Amarok still doesn't have the ability to use the new iTunesdb.

Okay, though I was talking about /gtkpod/ here, not amarok - I'm having
the same problem with both - the app thinks it loaded the song to the
iPod but the iPod begs to differ.

>> So, do I carry on with your steps (I would be at the gtk/gtk2/gtk+
>> finding/installing phase) or do I install ffmpeg to convert mp3's to
>> mp4's and then load them on the iPod vian gtkpod? Again, I now have
>> gtkpod, it thinks it loads .mp3's on teh iPod, but the iPod does not agree?
>>

> You can't use the gtkpod from packages, you need to install the svn version you
> downloaded (the one that needs gtk2-devel to build).
Rats, there I go havin' ta lurn stuff agin!
>  Sorry for the confusion
> about mp3 vs. mp4, I'm getting excited, you're almost there.

You and I both.
> So, just to recap:
>
> Install gtk2-devel
>
> To build gtkpod, run ./autogen.sh, ./configure --prefix=/usr, make, and if it
> completes do make install.

Yup, I'm working through that now.

Chris