iPod Nano

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 6 02:47:32 UTC 2007

On November 5, 2007 09:17:29 pm Chris Aitken wrote:
> JoeHill wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > One thing, before you start in on this: if you installed Amarok, it
> > probably brought gtkpod and libgpod with it. Before you install the
> > svn of those two, you should first remove the RPM's for gtkpod and
> > libgpod.
>
> I just realized I didn't do this first. I guess I kinda thought it
> was included in the instructions below. It doesn't look like it is.
> Should I run rpm -e gtkpod* and prm -e libgpod* before doing anything
> else?
>
> > This is the way I did it:
> >
> > 0. Install libmp4v2-devel so that gtkpod is build with support
> > for...well, mp4.
> >
> > 1. Grab libgpod svn:
> >
> > svn co
> > https://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gtkpod/libgpod/trunk
> > libgpod
> >
> > *Important* read the README.sysinfo file and follow the
> > instructions.
> >
> > ...then build and install the usual way* (I used ./configure
> > --prefix=/usr)
>
> Since the only configure file is configure.ac I tried the following:
>
> [chris at p733 ~]$ cd libgpod
> [chris at p733 libgpod]$ ./configure.ac --prefix=/usr
> bash: ./configure.ac: Permission denied
> [chris at p733 libgpod]$ su
> Password:
> [root at p733 libgpod]# ./configure.ac --prefix=/usr
> bash: ./configure.ac: Permission denied
> [root at p733 libgpod]#
>
> I guess that's not the file - even root won't run it. Must be for
> system access only...
>
> I'm going to bed - it looks like the geeks are all in bed early too.
> Or maybe you guys don't get up until 10 pm. :)

If there is a configure.ac file, that indicates that you have yet to run
autoconf. Try running autoconf, and you should see a new configure
script generated. Some packages will also have an autogen.sh script
that does that for you.

Once you've got a configure script to execute, try that. Probably you'll
find it fails at some dependency. Chase that down (try yum search
dependency-devel), run ./configure again, and do that until configure
says you can execute make.

Also, are there any INSTALL* files with specific instructions for that
particular software?

Jamon