printing .pdf

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 1 03:35:52 UTC 2007

And just to be a bastard and further muddy the waters, I'll add this
little tidbit:

If you don't want to (or can't) install cupsys-client, you can install
rlpr and cupsys-bsd. At work we have some rather old RedHat systems
with a Debian changeroot. Cups is installed in the changeroot (because
it won't install/compile on the old RH) and runs from there, and rlpr
can be used from the primary RedHat to talk to cupsys-bsd and thus
print.

rlpr can also be used to print from a local machine to remove lp or
cupsys-bsd queues. If you can get stuff working with the regular cups
client though, go with that.

On Oct 31, 2007 9:20 PM, Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 03:18:23PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> >
> >> Well, whaddya know? lp works. All that time all I had to do was remove
> >> the 'r' from 'lpr'.
> >>

> > In that case I would find out which package provides lpr, and if it is
> > NOT cups, then remove the package and install the correct cups package
> > instead.
> >
> So that cups will print from the lpr command? You understand I'm able to
> print from xpdf now, right?
> > On debian this is cupsys-bsd.  lp and lpstat is provided by
> > cupsys-client.  Fedora would probably name things entirely different, so
> > I have no idea.
> >
> > rpm -qf `which lpr` should give an idea which package is responsible.
> >
> [root at p733 chris]# rpm -qf `which lpr`
> cups-1.2.12-4.fc7
>
> <snip>

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support