Ripping protected audio

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 30 22:43:29 UTC 2007

I've played with audacity and ecasound and both seem to be recording
really terrible audio.

Audacity is frustrating to work with, and I see a lot of different
audio options which don't seem to change anything.

I'm presently unable to get JACK to do much.

Is there one consistent guide out there which helps with such a topic?

I'd be willing to get/burn/boot from a live distro to use its tools,
if that's an option.

audacity:

I changed my input/output settings to "ALSA (default)"

ecasound:

ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o somefile.wav

Does this work with ALSA?  Are there recommended quality settings?

I am fairly familiar with some other things I ought to work with -
like kmix settings.  I played and played and with what I think are the
correct settings, my recordings still sound terrible.

In particular, there's a band who have a page on myspace, and they
have audio up there which isn't released yet (because they're
unsigned).  I want to be able to grab/archive it.  This is one of
those "I'd buy it if I could" moments.