Teksavvy and Bittorrent

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri May 25 18:53:06 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:
> I've got both tcp and udp, with tcp being
> first in the list if that matters.

Order is of no consequence.

> Azureus uses udp for its distributed database functionality.

DHT is a security hazard - dangerous to *you* - and some private
trackers demand that DHT be disabled. It's a slightly complicated
procedure to disable DHT in Azureus. Some private trackers provide a
howto, again, in their FAQs or support forum. I can provide the info, if
needed.

Additionally, you may want to install the SafePeer plugin.

> the same behaviour is exhibited whether I use the default port
> or not,

Most trackers blacklist the BT default port because the majority of ISPs
block it and many others these days. The tracker FAQ usually says so.

> and also by three different clients (azureus, bittornado, and
> bittorrent-console). Torrents tried are from a variety of sources.

You can test if your system is connectible at NatCheck:
http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
This will verify that port forwarding is set up correctly.
Unfortunately the service is frequently down. Like now.

Your port can also be tested at Gibson Research's "ShieldsUp!":
https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=<port number>,
where <port number> is the port that you are using for your BitTorrent
data. If it reports that the port is "Open", then your port forwarding
is working okay. If it reports that the port status is "Stealth" or
"Closed", then the port is not open and your system will not be
connectible for BitTorrent communications.

http://www.portforward.com has detailed information on setting up port
forwarding for a large number of different routers and it also has
information on setting up a static IP address in your computer.

To find out if you're behind a (transparent/anonymous) proxy, try
ProxyJudge: http://proxyjudge.org/
It lists the HTTP headers that the server where it is running received
from you. The relevant ones are HTTP_CLIENT_IP, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and
REMOTE_ADDR.

This is really weird :-\

Quite common, actually.

> Thanks again :)