[OT] TV, Internet, and Democracy

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 24 07:19:12 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Advertising, news, same thing ;) I love it when I hear people say 'I don't
> mind commercials, I don't think they affect people that much...' lol, sure,
> those advertisers are spending a kajillion dollars a second for *nothing* :-\

This is a strange space to be in.  Everyone wants to believe they're
immune but not everyone can be correct.

Somehow either the people one finds onesself in the company of are
collectively less-affected / disaffected by advertising or are lying
to themselves.  Maybe it's a bit of both, or maybe also a lack of
awareness of the actual impact advertising has.  Which would, of
course, be the points of ads.

On the one hand I'd like to think I'm smrt, but on the other hand I've
seen 'stone-stupid' people in coffee shops break out into heated
philosophical arguments.  Limited, mind you, in terms of vocabulary
and sources from known arguments but still surprisingly passionate.
Heck, am I so different?  I can use big words sometimes, but when's
the last time I quoted Chomsky?

Urr.. yeah.  advertising == news
=)