why not use vesa driver as X default?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 24 04:27:23 UTC 2007

Alex Maynard left a post-it on the fridge:

> > From what I've garnered in seeing this exact question a few times before,
>
> I'm sorry about that -- I didn't realize it had been asked before.

No no, that was 'a lot of people are thinking the same thing as you' :-)

>  the
> > prevailing opinion seems to be that the benefit of doing what you suggest
> > would be outweighed by the costs. This is based on the idea that if vesa
> > were default, the resulting display characteristics on newer NVidia and ATI
> > cards would be clearly sub par. IIANM, the vesa driver does not support
> > most/any of the features on recent video cards, and the result would, as I
> > say, be more detrimental than any conceivable gain from defaulting to
> > vesa.
>
> I'm sure you're right -- probably, I've just had unusual bad luck with
> default drivers.

Personally, I don't see why this could not be resolved using the method I've
gone through with every install I've done (with Mandriva anyway, that I can
recall): at the end of the install you need to configure X and test it with the
config you've chosen. If it fails, you try a different driver/settings/etc. I
haven't noticed if vesa is an option in there, but I don't know why it could
not be.

Strangely, no one from any of the major distribution's develepment teams have
been asking for my opinion lately.

--
JoeHill