why not use vesa driver as X default?

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 24 07:29:34 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Based on some recent ubuntu installs where everything else
> "just worked" but X-windows (and the whole system) "just froze" I'm
> wondering why the drive in xorg.conf doesn't default to a more robust
> (if non-optimal) driver like vesa? There could always be a clear option to switch
> to a video card specific driver, but why not default to something that
> "just works" so as not to scare off new users?

"just works" ?  Ubuntu?  No, that'd be PCLinuxOS.  The new 2007
release came out the other day and I'll drop off a few CDs to the
caffe on Friday after work.

Having a LiveCD automatically detect everything and boot into
1920x1200 is quite a shocker.  =)

But to be honest, 3d support and the fancy desktops and such is pretty
shaky as it is.. I haven't bothered to go near that stuff yet, but I
know others who are happy with those features.